Monday, January 26, 2015

Monday Meals: Portobella Steaks

The church Doug and Caroline in the Arkansas Test Kitchen attend has asked the congregation to do a Fast, but more importantly a Daniel Fast. 
For those not familiar with the Daniel Fast, here's some information:

When doing research on the fast, the first thing we noticed was that you can't eat meat. And if there is one thing the Arkansas Test Kitchen eats; it's MEAT. But for the church we thought we would give it a shot. Trust me I thought I would only last a day, or maybe two days at most. But to date I have lasted 7 full days without meat.

The one thing that I have discovered through this experience is that I am more concerned about what I eat. Before the fast, if my son would have half a plate of pancakes left from breakfast, I would finish eating them and not really think about it. But now I am more focused on what I eat, and how much of it I eat.

With that being said, we did title this blog Portobella Steaks. I HATE mushrooms. But thanks to my wife's sister, I tried these and I think they taste and feel just like steak. The Arkansas Test Kitchen gives this recipe two thumbs up.


Portobella Steaks
http://www.thelocalvegan.com/blog/portobello-steaks-and-lemon-herb-potatoes

4 large portobella mushroom caps
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce (we used low sodium)
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp. oregano 







Instructions:
1. Clean the inside of the mushroom caps. If you're not sure how, check out this website for pointers: http://www.bhg.com/recipes/how-to/cooking-basics/how-to-clean-mushrooms/
2. In a bowl mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, and oregano
3. Place cleaned mushroom caps in a zip lock bag, then pour mixture over the mushroom caps.
4. Place bag in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to 1 hour; turning bag every 15 minutes so they marinate evenly.
5. Spray grill pan with cooking spray
6. Pre-heat grill pan to medium / medium high heat
7. Cook mushrooms for 8 - 10 minutes per side




9. Serve immediately and enjoy. 



We look forward to keeping you updated on the Daniel Fast, and sharing more vegetarian recipes with you.

Stay Cool,
The Cool Dads Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment